Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Fashion Videos: Philip Lim thumbs up

My girlfriend is a stylist so for a while now I've been keeping an eye on fashion videos with a thought at the back of my mind that we could possibly do a test shoot in the future. We've done still test shoots in the past, and while stills are great, video is something I get the impression the fashion world is only just getting to grips with, but the market is likely to grow pretty rapidly.
However, most of the videos I've seen so far are crap: either utterly impenetrable arty bollocks or say-what-you-see yawnfests.
So, I was impressed when I found this Philip Lim video on Selectism.com today. I love the way the director of photography has utilised the light, the architecture and the colour-grading to make it look properly cool and aspirational. What more does it need?

3.1 Phillip Lim "Weavers" Men's FW11 Collection from 3.1PhillipLim on Vimeo.

2 comments:

Alex Murray said...

Fashion houses were among the first to get the potential of online video. Burberry were live streaming shows back in 2000 for example. The reason you've probably seen so much rubbish is that every single label, regardless of size, feels it has to do it to compete, resulting in a high level of dross. Topshop did a really good cycling campaign for SS a couple of years back for good cycling/fashion crossover.

Andy Waterman said...

Think it's because I've been watching vids on photography blogs where the photographers are just experimenting with film and don't really get it. It's one thing streaming live shows, it's quite another to combine the vision of editorial fashion photography into a moving image imo. That seems to be the struggle at the moment