Saturday, May 22, 2010

Night Riding


AnnaComposite, originally uploaded by Andy Waterman.
On Wednesday I went out riding with Anna Glowinski from www.ananichoola.co.uk and Team Mulebar Girls to take some shots of her riding her new Whyte E120 whilst using the lights the team have recently received from Exposure Lights. The problem of doing night-ridig shots at this time of year is you have to hang around in the woods for so long for it to actually get dark. By the time we'd got the shots and I'd ridden the 30mins home, it was 11 o'clock. I was knackered the next day!
The riding shot was a 15sec exposure with two flashes triggered by radio triggers, triggered manually as Anna came past. So: set the shutter running, then hit the flash at the right time to get the best shape. I did it like this so I could get the light trails all the way through the shot, with the rider in the middle of the trails.
The portrait was shot with a lensbaby 3g - a budget tilt-shift lens - and one flash. I'm undecided about this - the majority of me likes it though. I like the way the lens isolates the name of the bike and Anna's face, and they're the important bits after all. Let me know what you think and post a comment!

No comments: