Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Cyclocross World Champs prediction

I just watched the last lap from Milan. How strong does Boom look at the start of the lap? He just lacked the techniques when it mattered - too big a gear and too little momentum = foot down = Nys! I don't think he'll be doing that again, so he's my tip for the Worlds' win. Second, if I was a betting man I'd go with Stybar. He's been looking so strong since Christmas, and shown he's more versatile than some (Wellens) say he is, coming second in the quagmire at Roubaix. Third - got to be Nys, but I don't think he'll win.
Outside bet - Vervecken. You can't write him off, and with World Cup wins at Roubaix and Koksijde, he's already shown this season that he's got the legs.
The Brits - I reckon Jody could get top 15. Winning the Nationals must have been a massive confidence boost, so hopefully he's put Koksijde behind him and is ready to mix it with the guys he was beating there until he crashed (he was ahead of Page and Groendaal for instance). Last prediction - Jody to beat all the Americans!

Prediction:
1 - Boom
2 - Stybar
3 - Nys
Top 15 - Jody C

No comments: