Monday, January 25, 2010

Beards in cycling


lx18, originally uploaded by LondonCycleSport.
The beard is not a popular facial accoutrement in the world in cycling, which in my mind is a shame and something I am attempting to at least partially rectify with my own attempt at hirsuitedness. Being fair it's only now, after six weeks of avoiding the Gillette Mach 3 that it's beginning to show up on the photographic radar. I've got a long way to go, but if I can get something like Sean Eadie, Belov from American Flyers or even the late, great Sheldon Brown going by the summer I would be a happy man.
The photo above id from yesterday's cross race at Wilmington School in Kent. I did ok, not great. Ninth place is my worst result of the season, but it was a good field so not unexpected.
Photo ©: Mike Gladu/www.velodrome.com

9 comments:

Red Bike said...

Rumour has it that a beard used to be requirement in order to ride an Audax.

Do you still need to shave your legs if you grow a beard.

What about a goatie, Do you shave your legs then?

Fashion said...

Legwarmers tend to strip down if you don't shave your legs. I suppose you didn't shave your arms 'cause your bicepswarmers are stripping down

Fashion said...

There used to be a typical cyclist's beard in the nineties:
http://odysseia.web-log.nl/odysseia/images/museeuw1_1.jpg

Andy Waterman said...

you can't count a Pantani style goatee as a proper beard! That's a southern european thing. I'm talking big ol' northern european full-beards

Fashion said...

And Peter Van Petegem was known to have grown a full beard after just one day of hard racing: He started in Paris freshly shaved, and by the time he finished in Roubaix he had a complete beard

Fashion said...

I'm going to do some research on Sean Edie, NE beards e.a.

Andy Waterman said...

haha, I'm sure Jan Ullrich used to grow a beard during the tour, as he was worried about the Sampson effect - cut your hair and lose all you strength

Fashion said...

Okay, I found one: Ortaire Goossens, who got great results in the '70s and '80s (Coup Sels, Olympia's Tour, 2 etappes in Tour of Mexico)

Phil Jones said...

It's a bit ginger.